Saturday, May 3, 2008

One of my larger pieces -- this one measures 55 inches square.  Its genesis was a page of doodling on a sleepless night.  Following a technique by quilt designer Ricky Tims, I folded a square piece of paper into halves, then quarters, then eighths, and I drew a design on one of the folded eighths.  I opened up the piece of paper and reflected the drawing seven times onto each of the other sections.  After a bit of tweaking, the final design emerged, and I couldn't wait to play with color to give it life.  The process speaks to all my sensibilities -- I love the symmetry, the fluid movement, the balance of color.  There are more of these designs on the drawing board -- the possibilities intrigue me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...