Thursday, August 28, 2008
The design progresses! Working from the bottom layer upward, I've appliqued more pieces to the background (top photo). Each time a layer is added, I've cut away the black interfaced fabric from behind it (bottom photo), so that there will be no more than one layer of fabric on any part of the quilt top once it's done. I use my seam ripper to begin cutting away the background, and then I switch to small applique scissors. Before I start the cutting, I say a prayer that I won't cut into the applique itself -- this is an important step in the process and seems to help greatly . . .