Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I'm finding new stitches . . .


 . . . on my sewing machine that I really like!  I have a Bernina artista 185, and I've been experimenting with different stitches to find those that can be used for machine applique.  The stitch pictured here has been the most fun to play with -- it covers the edge of the applique piece nicely and gives a whimsical dimension to the embroidery.  I plan to sew tiny beads at the points of the stitches (a little insane, you're thinking), and I think the effect is going to tickle me.  

2 comments:

Pat said...

Your appetite for color is so appealing. Do you practice on samples or will the experiment find itself on a work of art?

Diane said...

That picture was a close-up of the final piece on which I did the stitches. I practice every one, though, using the exact same fabrics ahead of time. The background fabric has already been backed with iron-on interfacing (I like Shirtailor by Pellon). If a piece is to be appliqued, I do one of two things:
If it’s very small, I fuse it, then applique.
If the applique piece is medium to large, I back it with the Shirtailor, run a line of Uhu purple glue around the perimeter of the back of the piece, glue it in place, and applique. I then cut away the background fabric behind the applique to reduce bulk and to allow the applique fabric to keep its color bright, rather than being dulled by the background fabric behind it (which is, very often, black). It’s very “Jane Sassaman” of me, and I like the way the final piece hangs with all that interfacing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...