Thursday, April 16, 2009

See what happens . . .

"Aspenglow"
(available for sale on my website)


 . . . after a play date with quilt artists (and good friends) Joanna Monroe and Pat Spillane?  Your right brain opens wide and says "Aaahh."  I became inspired to do this piece after spending a most enjoyable and creative afternoon in Joanna's studio, where we painted on paper towels (I am not making this up) and on surfaces which had been heavily stitched, and basically took ourselves back to our kindergarten days.

This is the first art quilt I've ever done without drawing the design beforehand or creating pattern pieces.  The leaves were fused into place wherever they fell as I cut them out, and the moon was created from a piece of fabric that I had painted and considered a mistake.  Talk about embracing imperfection . . .

I've heard it said that, when you're creating a work of fiber art, the piece will talk to you and tell you what it needs, and I experienced this phenomenon as I completed the design.  Although the idea was percolating in my mind long before I started it, many of the elements asked to be included along the way.  As I worked on it, the beautiful song, "Aspenglow," by John Denver, kept returning to my thoughts.  And so the scene became reminiscent of autumn nights unfolding into winter, and the piece earned its title.

May we all continue to enjoy the end of winter nights and the promise of warm spring days.

28 comments:

Sarah said...

Wow...very impressive!

Quilt+Bitch said...

I am speechless. What a stunning collection of quilts you have! I bet they look even more beautiful in real life!

Doris said...

This is gorgeous! Love it!

Zonnah said...

I am in love. This is beautiful.

Red Pepper Quilts - Rita Hodge said...

Absolutely beautiful!

Crispy said...

WOW....just WOW!! It has such clean uncluttered lines but the quilting makes the whole quilt move and keeps your eye roving over every inch. WELL DONE!!

Crispy

Jocelyn said...

Absolutely awesome quilt!

melissa s. said...

oh my, this took my breath away. so beautiful and what a beautiful description to match!

Sandra said...

Great depiction of the moonlight, a very effective design. This virtual quilt show is fun, glad we both joined in.
http://utahquiltappraiser.blogspot.com

Emma said...

Gorgeous! And the quilting is just perfect for the design.

Tacha said...

Absolutely fantastic. Gorgeous colours.

Anonymous said...

I love it! What a beautiful piece of art.

Jilly said...

Wow, this is amazing! I love how the circular quilting balances the angular trees.

Teodo said...

Wonderful.....I like the quilting around the sun it seems that is shinning.
ciao ciao

stitchinpenny said...

Aspen caught in a quilt. Nature sings through your stitching.

Terri Stegmiller said...

The quilt is stunning!

Cindy's Stitching said...

what a great design and amazing color

Unknown said...

It's BEAUTIFUL! Thank you for sharing with us :)

Quilt Rat said...

Perfection! I love everything about this piece EVERYTHING!

Dolores said...

Oh, this is soooo pretty. I love it.

Coloradolady said...

Lovely is beyond words...this is gorgeous.

Anonymous said...

Lovely, the quilting is beautiful.

whoopdedoo_5 said...

completely breath taking! wow! great work!!

Karoda said...

a very handsome quilt!

Ariane said...

I love it!! Wow! It's a beautiful piece of art.

Joanna Monroe said...

Aspenglow is gorgeous. We had lots of fun, didn't we? When the muse stikes anything is possible!
Joanna

connie said...

This is lovely! I just love how the colors pop.

sjr585 said...

I love it!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...