Sunday, January 24, 2010

Remembering the Days Before Snow . . .


"Autumn in New York"
I love finding geometry in nature.  There’s a tree in our neighborhood that produces spherical pods each fall; it always reminds me of an illustration from a Dr. Seuss story.  I have seen paintings where the artist used round daubs of paint to represent leaves, and I wanted to achieve that same effect in fabric.

So I began cutting out circles from scraps of fusible-backed hand-dyed fabrics -- it’s a very meditative process, I discovered.  I fused them onto a beautiful piece of fabric from Caryl Fallert’s Gradations line for Benartex, and I quilted the whole piece with Madeira and Sulky 40-weight rayon thread.
The entire effect is reminiscent of our view of the Helderberg Mountains as we drive to the apple orchards each October for cider doughnuts (gosh, this is making me hungry!).
This piece will be on display, along with other works from the members of ARTAA (my fiber art group) at an upcoming show titled “Under Cover” at the Spring Street Gallery in Saratoga Springs, NY.  Please stay tuned for more information about the show in future posts.
Have a most creative week!
Diane




15 comments:

Unknown said...

It is just gorgeous! The colors, the layout, the quilting, just everything!! Love it!

connie said...

I too love circles. These trees are spectacular. All the parts and pieces work so very well together!

Tracey said...

This is a lovely quilt. I have a design in my sketchbook for a similar round leaf tree. I like the quilting very much too.

Elizabeth Rosenberg said...

Beautiful! The quilting is gorgeous, and I love the colors, too! I'm ready for spring!

Quilt Rat said...

WOW! What an amazing piece using such simple shapes, along with your interpretation of earth and sky through the quilting........ its is absolutely wonderful!!!!!

Deborah said...

Beautiful quilt! I love the colors and the circles.

Diane Wright said...

"Under Cover" I like that.

I also like...really like..your trees. And as much as I am attracted to the color and shapes it's the gorgeous stitching that blows me away.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Oh gosh this is totally fabulous! I love circles and swirls and anything from the round family and the bright colors are so happy.

Yvonne said...

Love your idea and the colors and quilting make it more exciting!

imquilternity said...

OMG...another masterpiece! I love it. You do the most beautiful (not to mention perfect) quilting! I'm so in awe of your ability and talent.

Victoria said...

This is gorgeous! The colors, the quilting, the design... beautiful! Best wishes for a great show!

Tangled Stitch said...

Congratulations Diane! I will have to get up there to see it! It is very beautiful, very beautiful!

Chris Daly said...

Diana, This quilt is stunning! The colors and the quilting are perfection. Can I ask what fusible product you like to use?

Leah said...

oh WOW!!!!!!! I LOOVVVE this!!! so beautiful. i love the symmetry and the gorgeous colors and your quilting also. how did you cut out such perfect circles? did you do it by hand?

also, wanted to let you know for the postcard challenge The theme for February is "things we love." look forward to seeing what you come up with!

Judy Alexander said...

This is such a beautiful piece. I love the simplify of the design and the quilting is stunning.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...