Monday, May 18, 2009

Home Again . . .




I've had two wonderful opportunities to travel a bit lately, and now that I'm finally unpacked (why does that always take so long to do?), I'm excited to share what I've seen and learned.  

Two weeks ago, I had the pleasure and privilege of taking a class from Sharon Schamber, whose work I have long admired.  The workshop focused on the basics of machine stippling, and Sharon is a wealth of knowledge on this subject (and many others, as well).  The pattern pictured above was included with the class and contains a DVD which thoroughly explains her technique (this pattern can be purchased from her web site).  

We started with baby steps, however, and it's a good thing we did -- working with such tiny stitches obviously takes a great deal of patience and practice.  My first attempts are pictured above, and I needed a neck massage when I was done.  The size of my sample is approximately 3" by 6".  I also found myself holding my breath while stitching, a practice that is highly discouraged by Sharon, as it tends to make you a bit light-headed.  I used #60 Mettler fine embroidery thread on my sample, and I worked with Hobbs Heirloom wool batting for the first time; this type of batting has a good deal more loft than the cotton blends, and the result is a more textured quilt surface.  Needless to say, I was definitely out of my comfort zone, but that's a good place for me to be if I'm going to improve my skills.  

I hope to share more about my journeys in a future post.  My thanks to all of you who follow my blog -- I am always grateful.

4 comments:

Quilt Rat said...

Your stitches look wonderful! I LOVE to work with those tiny stitches, I find I have more control. I think I will be ordering that pattern and DVD. Thanks for sharing

Anonymous said...

It doesn't appear to my eyes that you were out of your comfort zone. Your stitches about look perfect to me.

Tracey said...

Oh lucky you! I love Sharons work. She came over to Ireland to teach at the Machine Quilters Expo there and I took several classes for longarm with her. She is sooo patient - loevly lady and does amazing work! You did so well. Mine similar sample piece is no where near as good!

imquilternity said...

Thanks so much for sharing the link...I think I may have to get that pattern you reference. It's gorgeous and so is your 3" x 6" sample. That's really small but your stitches look perfect.

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...