Friday, November 19, 2010

Tree of Life: Summer

Tree of Life: Summer  ©2010  Diane Evans  6" x 4"
I’ve decided that I probably didn’t spend enough time in kindergarten, because I’m enjoying my explorations with paints and inks so much lately.  I have NEVER believed that I had much artistic ability; this notion was firmly reinforced by my third grade teacher, Miss K., who, I am certain, was at least 7 feet tall (although I never measured her) and never smiled.  She told us one day to paint a picture of what we had observed on a recent field trip; since I had seen a field of cattails for the first time, I was excited to begin my drawing. 
 I painted three, really large cattails that covered most of my piece of paper and proudly showed them to her when she came by my desk. She looked at them and said, with a frown on her face,  “Oh, no, dear – that’s not what I wanted – you should have done something more like THIS,” and she pointed to Ronnie’s little masterpiece on the desk next to mine.  It was forty years before I touched a paintbrush again – seriously.
So now, thanks to the inspiration of so many of you, I’ve been encouraged to try again, and I’m having the time of my life. Here’s one of my latest experiments -- this design was printed from my photocopier onto pre-treated fabric; following a suggestion from quilt artist Jill Buckley, I coated it with Aloe Vera gel to make the surface smoother.  I then colored it in with Tsukineko ink pens and quilted it with Sulky rayon thread, adding French knots for a little texture.
What fun!  I even stayed inside the lines.  If only Miss K. could see how far I’ve come . . .
Diane

9 comments:

Bee said...

I LOVE your quilting too!!

Calicojoan said...

Oh Diane that is really cool. Darn those teachers who influence us for years before we figure out they were the crazy ones! I was just looking at a blog today where the gal used crayons and a Mandala print. You might want to check it out. http://mamacjt.blogspot.com/2010/11/mandala-1.html
You two are certainly on the same wave length. I am going to have to start playing as soon as my holiday projects are done!

Terri Stegmiller said...

This is a wonderful design and I really like the colors you used. Wonderful little piece.

Sue said...

Love this Diane! I have a whole set of Tsukineko inks that I haven't even opened yet. You've opened my eyes to what can be done!

Quilt Rat said...

and what a truly wonderful piece this is. Isn't it amazing what you can achieve in that little 4 x 6 inch space?

I hope that everyone who ever had a Miss K will find a way to get beyond it and really experience the true joy of simply creating for the pleasure of it.
We may not always make great works of art....but for me, that is not the point. The point is to LOVE the process.
Diane, you ARE the artist that Miss K could not see.

Diane Wright said...

Just look at what has been incubating since Ms. K! It is fun, playful and the quilting...as usual....is wonderful. Good for you for persevering! Diane

Robbie said...

Diane, your piece is stunning and Jill is such an inspiration isn't she!

Tangled Stitch said...

ABsolutely gorgeous. I love it. Can't really think of anything else to say except more superlatives so I'll end it there. I really love this piece!

Unknown said...

This looks great, so glad you're vanquishing that old ghost of schooldays past... we all have 'em!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...