Sunday, September 18, 2011

"Wind Beneath My Wings" -- Fini!


"Wind Beneath My Wings"  Diane Evans ©2011
What began as a watercolor exercise is now a finished art quilt.  Here’s “Wind Beneath My Wings,” all grown up and ready to go out into the world.
The interior machine quilting was done with 40-weight rayon thread; motifs were outlined with 12-weight cotton thread to add presence to the flowers and butterfly wings.
The hand embroidery was inspired by Laura Wasilowski’s latest book, “Fanciful Stitches, Colorful Quilts,” which features dozens of examples of wonderful hand stitches that add color and texture to any fiber art piece (Be sure to check out Laura's terrific blog here). 
I used straight stitches to accent the purple blooms and to create stamens on the central flower, and French knots were added in various places throughout the quilt.  As a finishing touch, white beads were sewn on –- after all, even a butterfly needs a little bling.
The kite-shaped quilt has been sewn onto a quilted blue background and is poised to fly away with its fabric-knotted tail.  It will travel to various exhibit spaces with other works by fellow artists in ARTAA, our fiber art group, during the coming year.
Thanks for sharing the journey of this art quilt with me – you, dear readers, are truly the “Wind Beneath My Wings.”
Diane

16 comments:

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

It's just glorious Diane! So beautiful and I love all the details as well as the overall concept.

Lynne said...

That is absolutely gorgeous!

Deborah Levy said...

Beautiful Diane!

Laura Wasilowski said...

What a beautifully designed and executed piece. The hand embroidery is just a little icing on a gorgeous cake!

Sally said...

Another great piece! I love that your work always leaves me with a happy feeling.

Calicojoan said...

Wow, is that fabulous or what!!! Looks like you hit a home run with this quilt (again) :-) With it turning from an art exploration to a quilt masterpiece is incredible. Take a bow, you deserve it on this beauty!!

Victoria said...

Lady, you blow me away! I now see a quilt book in your future, (as well as that line of greeting cards, gift wrap, and children book illustrations)!

The Dotty One said...

This is absolutely beautiful Diane - the attention to detail is amazing. You must be so patient! I'm so pleased it is going to be exhibited - lots of people will get to see your gorgeous work.
WOW!

Chris Daly said...

What a beautiful finish. Your work never fails to inspire me.

Tangled Stitch said...

I love it Diane! So colorful and whimsical makes me smile!

Margaret said...

Delightful, Diane! I have this book in e-book form and now you've inspired me to take it out to play!

Relentless Toil said...

Fabulous! I love the bright colors, and the design is vibrant and cute but not at all treacly.
Laura Wasilowski has inspired me to start hand embroidering darn near everything too.

Donna Becker said...

Your work is simply glorious. I love the vibrant colors and shapes. Thanks for posting! I'll be following your blog to see what's next in your creative process.

MulticoloredPieces said...

Happened upon your lovely blog while surfing the net. I've really enjoyed your art quilts--such lovely colors and designs.
best from Tunisia,
nadia

lacydolls said...

As Always your kite quilt is "Stunning".

Unknown said...

Beneath the rule of men entirely great, the pen is mightier than the sword. See the link below for more info.


#beneath
www.ufgop.org

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...