Saturday, May 7, 2011

More "Sketchbook Delight" . . .

I am continually captivated by the inspiration that has poured forth from Alisa Burke's online class, "Sketchbook Delight."  Here's a peek inside my journal:
More fantasy flowers emerged after an evening of play . . .
The watercolor page above was inspired by a haunting ballad titled "When October Goes."  Its origin was a set of unfinished lyrics written by renowned lyricist Johnny Mercer and given to Barry Manilow after Mercer's death.  Mercer's widow hoped that Manilow could develop these lyrics into a complete song, and he did so in 1984.

Alisa also posted a wonderful tutorial on her blog, showing us how to create butterflies using pages from old books as the foundation.  My dear friend and talented artist, Joanna Monroe, had given me a stack of pages from a very old math book (what else??), and if you look very closely, you can see polynomial equations peeking out from behind these creatures . . .
And maybe, just maybe, spring is finally here . . .


Diane




7 comments:

Anonymous said...

These are wonderful, Diane. And I love that you are using math pages. I have been thinking of ways I might incorporate math into a quilt. You found a good way.

Terri Stegmiller said...

Such fabulous pages! Love those beautiful butterflies. I've been thinking about taking Alisa's next watercolor class. Looks very fun!

Quilt Rat said...

Oh my goodness! These are all SO wonderful...each and every one. This is one special sketchbook. Love it!

Bee said...

Your journal pages are beautiful!! I had missed the butterfly tutorial. Thanks for sharing it. I love the butterflies on the math pages! I don't think I could pick a favorite page...each one is so beautiful! You are such an inspiration!

Joanna Monroe said...

The text gives your butterfly wings an extra dimension. Your colors are always great. There are lots more math pages so let me know if you want more of them!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

LOVE your butterflies. I can imagine your designs on cards or even fabrics, they are just so lovely.

Janice Kay Schaub said...

I am so glad I found your blog. I will enjoy looking through it and will be following now
Janice

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...