Thursday, February 12, 2009

What Inspires Us To Create?


"To live a creative life, we must lose our fear of being wrong."

I recently purchased "The Relatively Pain-Free Artist's Statement" by Alyson Stanfield and traveled through the process of reworking my artist statement.  As I followed the steps outlined in the workbook, I found myself searching through my memories of creating art and really analyzing the reasons I have been drawn to do it.  One thing I learned about my process is that the medium itself serves as inspiration to begin an art quilt.  I discovered that I love the anticipation of pulling fabrics off the shelf and tossing them onto the table to see if they will play well together.  The tactile nature of this type of art perpetuates the creation of it: It is so exhilarating to touch the fabrics, to cut them into shapes, to watch the shapes form a composition under my direction. Sometimes the result is far less than the masterpiece I'd hoped for, but I am still moved forward to try again.

What inspires you to create your art?

(Pictured above: "Rhythm of the Night I," private collection)


1 comment:

.Trudi Sissons said...

Beautiful - this has to be one of my most favorites of quilt art seen so far...you're talent shines and glows - obviously you've conquered your fears!!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...