Monday, February 2, 2009

What's In A Name?

There's an interesting discussion going on in the world of "art quilts" -- or is it "studio quilts"? -- or is there yet another, more descriptive name for this medium??  In the February 2009 issue of AmericanStyle magazine, writer Pat Worrell asks, "Just what exactly should we call these quilts? . . . The jury is still out."  She goes on to say that, for the purposes of the article, it was decided to use the phrase "'studio quilts,' a term adopted by the International Quilt Study Center in Lincoln, Nebraska, upon the recommendation of well-known quilt artist Michael James."  Nancy Crow states, "You wouldn't say 'art painting,' so I don't use the term 'art quilt.'  I am a contemporary quiltmaker."

I sometimes find myself searching for the right phrase when someone asks me what I "do."  Mention the word "quilt," and people may tune out or, more often, respond with a story of the wonderful bed quilts their grandmothers used to make; it takes a bit of explaining to describe to them how my work is different.  So . . . what do you think we should call ourselves and the art we create?

[Fellow quilt artist Pat Spillane contributed to this post  (thanks, Pat!) -- visit her at pmsdesigns.wordpress.com]

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yes... I've never been able to resolve this one for myself. I'll have to pick up a copy of that magazine. Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...