Sunday, June 14, 2009

The Creative Process: The Search For Fabric


(This is Part III is a series of . . . well, I'm not sure how long this will last, but I hope the end is in sight . . . Please see my posts from 4/24 and 5/24 for the first two parts.)

Choosing the fabrics that will work best in the design is often the most agonizing part of the process for me, most likely because, to borrow a phrase from South African quilt artist Rosalie Dace, I'm very "mingy" with my fabric (a blended word derived from "miserly" and "stingy" -- says it all, doesn't it?), and I hate to recut a shape.  Somehow, I'm able to move myself through the "sturm und drang" of the decision making, and it helps to cut out one or two pieces at a time and audition them on the design wall.
The interfacing is ironed to the fabric.

The motif is cut out just inside the dotted line.

All the interfaced motifs are pinned in place on the design wall, and I let them simmer there for a few days.  I check on them periodically and make changes until I'm as pleased as my obsessive nature will allow me to be.

When I'm finally ready to sew, everything comes off the wall.  Starting with the center area of the background and working from the bottom layer upwards, I glue one shape at a time to the background by applying a thin line of UHU Purple Glue Stick around the perimeter of the motif and putting the piece in place.


A wallpaper seam roller is used to press the glue into submission without distorting the piece.  It's ready to be appliquéd.

More to come in Part IV.  In the meantime, be sure to check out Marilyn Rock's blog for her latest giveaway -- another beautiful collage is awaiting a new home.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

I'm looking forward to the next part now!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...