Sunday, March 29, 2009

It's Show Time!


My husband and I just returned from installing some of my pieces at the Upstate Artists Guild on Lark Street in Albany for their upcoming exhibit, "Loose Threads: A Fiber Art National Show."  I am honored to be the featured artist at this show, which means: (1) my quilts are displayed in a room of their own, and (2) I will be asked to say a few words about my work during Albany's First Friday celebration on April 3, between 6 and 9 PM.  Having taught high school students for 25 years, I should be very accustomed to public speaking without developing sweaty palms, but I always get butterflies when I do something like this, and I've finally realized the reason for my anxiety (my "Aha!" moment): It's because the audience at an event such as this one will actually be listening to what I say. . .

I finished several new pieces for the show, one of which is "Wallflowers: #5," pictured above; I posted a sneak preview of this quilt on March 15, and here's the final version.  There is nothing happier to me than a yellow flower in full bloom, so I began with a beautiful piece of Judy Robertson's hand-dyed fabric as my background and filled it to the margins with yellow petals.  Since I don't have much of a green thumb, this is the closest I could come to growing one of Mother Nature's beauties without over-watering it.

I hope you'll stop in to see the show; please check future posts for more information and more previews of the works on display.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog, your website and your quilts. I just added your blog to those I'm following. Keep up the good work.

Joanna Monroe said...

Congratulations on your exhibit.
Your new quilt is just gorgeous. I love it.

Unknown said...

Beautiful piece Diane. You are truly an inspiration!

Unknown said...

Congrats, Diane, what an achievement!

JMack said...

congratulations, im so happy for you! this weekend ive become semi-obsessed with a website called etsy.com... its kind of like ebay except for handmade items and you set all the prices. im not sure if you've heard of it or not, but if youre not on it yet you should sell some of your beautiful work on there!

Zonnah said...

Wow! You do such great work.

Quilt Rat said...

Oh my GAWD! I absolutely LOVE this. Congratulations on being the featured artist......how cool is that!

Karen @ Pieces of Contentment said...

This is sensational Diane! Unbelievably beautiful.

corina said...

Absolutely stunning!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...