Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Wabi-sabi

                            "Masquerade" (private collection)

Janet Tanguay, creative director of Art-N-Soul, writes the following in her artist's commentary:

"The Japanese have a concept they call wabi-sabi that speaks to the art of imperfection and/or the willingness to accept things as they are.  Wabi-sabi is really about process, not the end result.  (It) requires that we take time to pay attention to imperfections.  To practice wabi-sabi means to accept nature's process, including impermanence."

Since reading Janet's narrative, I've given a great deal of thought to the way I approach my art.  Because I am essentially a left-brained, mathematically-saturated person, I've addressed my creative endeavors with my focus on the product: How well did it come out?  Did I achieve what I set out to do?  Did I waste very little time discovering how to do it?

One of my goals for this year is to embrace the process of creating fiber art and to accept the fact that the end result may not be what I envisioned . . . it may be, however, what was envisioned for me.

The quilt pictured above, "Masquerade", was begun in a class taught by Laura Wasilowski and departed quite dramatically from the piece I had originally imagined.  Its imperfections are there for all to see . . . and I have learned to love every one of them.

3 comments:

JMack said...

Imperfection is the name of my game lately! Miss you and wish I could have all of your teaching experience under my belt magically!

Linda Bacon said...

Hi Diane,
My extreme right brainedness gets endorphines from viewing the mathmatically perfect intervals of the spaces in your work. I'm familiar with wabi-sabi, as it is known in the clay world, and I find that it has its place, but I can't help my appreciation and adoration of perfection.
Your blog has helped inspire me to start one too. I started it today! If you would like to see it, go to: lindabacon.blogspot.com. If you recognize my name, it's because I have a piece in the Fulton Street Gallery Fiber Exhibit along with yours.

Joanna Monroe said...

Diane,
It looks great to me. Isn't perfection a matter of perspective? Wouldn't the world be a boring place if everything and everybody were perfect?

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...