Sunday, August 16, 2009

"It's Sum-Sum-Summertime!"


"Summertime, Summertime"

First, a clarification: The beautiful wall quilts featured in my last post were the creations of Laura Wasilowski, not the work of my hands . . . wish I could say they were.

Here, however, is my version of the first assignment given to us by Laura on the opening day of class at QBL. We all started with identical pieces of Laura's stunning hand-dyed fabric, and we were given the following guidelines:
  • Cut 2 pieces out of the fabric: one for an area of sky and the other to represent grass or ground.
  • Add spiky leaves and stems (cut on the bias so they could be curled into shape as they were fused)
  • Scatter flowers of all colors, shapes, and sizes among the stems; Laura demonstrated myriad examples of fantasy blooms to inspire us.
I added French knots, using Perle Cotton #5 and Laura's hand-dyed #8 embroidery thread, and I machine-quilted the piece with Madeira 30-weight rayon thread.

And the finished design sang, "Summertime, Summertime!", so I borrowed the title of the song by the Jamies and gave the little wall quilt its name.

Check back again -- I'll be posting my homework assignment from Day #2 very soon!

9 comments:

Laura Wasilowski said...

Wow Diane! It is beautiful! You do such wonderful work.

Diane Wright said...

Yes, Wow! And the quilting is wonderful too!

Ellen said...

Wow, Diane, it looks great! I've had time to check your blog since I'm home with my foot up! Great work.

Calicojoan said...

What a fun quilt. I love Laura's technique. Your quilting really sets off the piece. I am hoping to get more time here real soon to play "Laura" style too.

Exuberantcolor/Wanda S Hanson said...

I love the addition of the French knots.

(Megan) said...

Beautiful! Just wonderful quilting on such a happy quilt.

Tangled Stitch said...

Hi Diane! Your work is exquisite and I am in Clifton Park! I've seen your work and now have found your wonderful blog! Yippee!

mendofleur.com said...

Your work is exquisite! I love the colors.

Quilter Kathy said...

Love your summertime quilt! The colours, the detailed knots and stitches, and the quilting...just beautiful!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...